BARBECUE CHICKEN POPPERS are like barbecue chicken wings rolled up into a cheesy bite that doesn’t require 50 napkins to wipe your face. A party and game day must have!
Alright friends it is the time of year where you need to step up your appetizer game. Whether you are having a football party, holiday extravaganza, or just a small family gathering. You need these Barbecue Chicken Poppers. Easy. Delicious. And the best kind of finger food there is.
I got inspired to make Buffalo Chicken Poppers after my kids decided that Buffalo Chicken Wings were their new favorite thing to eat. But having 5 little kids with messy faces and fingers I need to do something different. Because it is not like they use a napkin, right? They use their shirt or better yet my shirt to wipe their hands and faces.
After the Buffalo Chicken Poppers were such a hit, I decided this was an easy way to make their favorite foods.
So here is an appetizer that will be crowd-pleasing and so easy to make. So easy. If you have 30 minutes, you have time to make these! Looking for another easy appetizer try my Skillet Jalapeno Popper Dip.
- 2 ½ cups of chopped rotisserie chicken about 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 3/4 cups sharp Cheddar
- 1/3 cup freshly sliced scallions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Oil for frying, I prefer Canola or Vegetable oil
- Have oil heated to 350 degrees F.
- Pick the meat from the chicken and discard the skin and roughly chop the chicken meat. Place the chicken in a large bowl and add barbecue sauce, cheese, scallions, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Roll the chicken into 2-ounce balls, about the size of a golf ball. I used a cookie dough scooper to help me get the right size.
- Place the flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in 3 separate bowls. Roll each ball in the flour, then the egg and then the bread crumbs. Set aside.
- When the oil is hot fry the chicken balls in batches. Cook for about 1-2 minutes per batch. Remove the chicken to paper towel lined plate to drain the excess oil.
- Serve and enjoy! Great to have a dipping sauce like Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing. Easy to make a day or two in advance and reheat in the oven or microwave.