HONEY ROASTED CHICKPEAS are a quick and easy snack choice for kids and adults alike! Salty, sweet, crunchy, and totally addictive!
After a summer full of ice cream and indulgences, I’m ready to buckle down and focus on eating as healthy as I can. These easy-to-make Honey Roasted Chickpeas fit right into the new diet plan for healthy snacks recipes. They are a super tasty and healthy snack perfect for munching on in the evening or late afternoon.
Honey Roasted Chickpeas start with canned chickpeas that have been drained and dried off. They are very easy to make, however, make sure you dry roast! That means making sure the chickpeas are as dry as possible by letting them sit on some paper towels to drain. Otherwise, they will “pop” and explode in your oven. Don’t ask me how I know this!!
Once they are roasted nice and crisp (and you could totally stop here and eat them this way) they get coated in a cinnamon-honey mixture. Then are returned to the oven for a few minutes to caramelize! YUM!
The chickpeas come out of the oven gooey when they are hot, but as they cool, they harden back up. These Honey Roasted Chickpeas are so deliciously addictive, it’s hard to stop eating them! They are a healthy snack, full of fiber and protein. But they are…um…beans, so if you over-indulge there might be a price to pay!
It’s important to have healthy snacks on hand to help stick to a healthy meal plan. Snacking is an important part of any diet and it’s best when it’s done with real ingredients and real food. What is great about roasting chickpeas for a snack is the flavors can be customized to whatever you fancy! Instead of a sweet take on this snack, you could go savory with some garlic salt, olive oil and some fresh chopped rosemary or go spicy with a little olive oil mixed with Sriracha! The possibilities are endless!
- Two - 15 ounce cans of garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed and dried of excess water
- 1/2 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS honey
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line large baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
- Spread chickpeas on the baking sheet, making sure not to over-crowd.
- Bake in oven for 45 - 50 minutes or until crunchy.
- In med bowl, combine the olive oil, honey, cinnamon and salt. Put hot chickpeas into the mixture an stir to coat. Spread back onto prepared baking sheet.
- Return to oven for 10 minutes, to allow honey mixture to caramelize.
- Remove from oven and cool before eating.
More healthy snack ideas from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures!