Here in Arizona the temperature is starting to warm up. This is kind of both a blessing and very scary. The weather is beautiful, clear blue skies, no humidity, and about 78 degrees. The problem is that Spring in AZ usually only lasts a couple of weeks and then we get hit with Summer and it ramps up fast. Before you can say flip flops it’s 118 degrees outside and you’re wondering how big of a block of ice you need to throw in your pool to be able to declassify it as an over sized hot tub.
I do love this time of year though. We get back outside and can stay longer than a few minutes and enjoy it all. I always love lemon during Spring too. The color and taste just screams Spring so I have been trying to think of something that I can make for the family. Then my husband came down with a cold and I found this recipe over at my new favorite hang out, skinnytaste.com. These Skinny Honey Lemon bars were perfect! Don’t you just love a mug of hot tea with lemon in it when you’ve got a cold? I love that even after baking you can still smell and tasted the honey in these bars. They remind me of a big glass of lemonade, the real stuff not the powder mixed with water. They are so simple to make and crazy delicious that you have to make them this weekend. I followed most of Gina’s recipe but made a couple changes only because I had to use what I had in my kitchen. Try them out and let us know what you think!
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- line an 8x8 square pan with 2 pieces of aluminum foil perpendicular to each other and leaving some to hang over the sides to grab after cooking. Spray inside of foil with cooking spray
- In a food processor combine flours, brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, baking powder and salt and mix
- add the butter and yogurt and then pulse until it looks like even sized crumbs
- dump into foil lined pan and spread out evenly.
- Use the bottom of a measuring cup to pat it down into an even layer, similar to a graham cracker crust
- bake in over for 20-22 minutes until golden brown
- cool the crust completely and lower oven to 325 degrees
- whisk together the eggs, honey lemon zest, flour and salt in a bowl
- stir in lemon juice and pour over the cooled crust
- bake 22 min until filling is set
- allow to cool on a wire rack in the pan
- once cooled completely lift foil to remove from pan and cut into nine bars
- dusk with powdered sugar on top