I have something to share with you all. My husband had a dark secret. I love him very much and so I was trying to accept him and his secret but it did make my life a bit hard. He didn’t like Nutella. There it feels good to get that off of my chest. I can talk openly about that now because this stuffed french toast made him change his mind. Nutella is a food I can’t just keep in the house. I’m mean as soon as there is a jar in my house there isn’t a jar in my house. I have no self control.
Valentine’s Day for me is about making things special for my family. I put extra love into the food I make that day and try to make extra special dishes. This is definitely an extra special dish. The husband and I talked about whether or not this was breakfast or a dessert and I think we settled on it being both. It’s breakfast in the way that a chocolate doughnut is breakfast. You know, a super tasty way!
This is super easy to make. Be sure that when you’re slicing a pocket into the french bread to hold your Nutella and strawberries you don’t cut all the way through. Just like the picture above. The bread is so thick that if you cook it a little too high on the stove it may not cook all the way through. If that happens you can stick it in the oven on 350 for about 10 minutes. Enjoy!!
- 1 loaf of french break
- 5 eggs beaten
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 tbsp Nutella
- 6 sliced strawberries
- 1-2 tbsp of butter
- garnish with a dusting of powdered sugar and extra strawberries
- in a baking dish whisk eggs, milk and vanilla together
- slice the loaf of bread into 2 inch slices
- using a paring knife slice a pocket in the crust of the bread, making sure to not go all the way through
- spread 1 tbsp of Nutella in the pocket of each slice and spread sliced strawberries in the pocket
- place bread in the egg mixture for about 1-2 min on each side
- roll sides in mixture too
- heat skillet over med low heat and melt 1 tbsp of butter
- place french toast in skillet and cook until golden brown then flip and cook the other side until golden brown and cooked through about 5 min per side
- place on a plate and dust with powdered sugar and top with extra strawberries