This Valentine’s Day surprise your sweetie with a healthy treat! HEART BEET CUPCAKES are completely decadent & made with a secret superfood!
Yup, you guessed it…beets! Beets are bursting with amazing health qualities, plus they are excellent for making Duncan Hines style fluffy and moist cupcakes!
Real Housemoms TV
I know it seems kind of strange to use beets when baking, but it’s similar to using pumpkin and we all know how wonderful pumpkin bread is! Beet puree replaces the eggs and butter typically used in cupcake recipes saving you tons of saturated fat, cholesterol and calories!
Plus, it lends a vibrant red color! That beautiful red color is due to powerful antioxidant compounds that are responsible for anti-inflammation and detoxification, both of which protect the body from disease.
For the Cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup beet puree
- 1/3 cup canola oil or olive oil
- 1 cup milk I used soy milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or AP flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
For the Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 oz package powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
To make beet puree:
- Peel, cut and boil 2 medium sized beets until tender. Drain beets reserving ~1/3 cup of water. Add beets to a food processor and puree adding 1 tablespoon at a time until an applesauce consistency is achieved.
To make Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a mini-cupcake pan with paper cups and set aside. In a large bowl whisk together beet puree, oil, milk and sugar. In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Spoon into cupcake cups until 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool.
To make Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large bowl using a hand held mixer beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Gradually add in powdered sugar and cinnamon. Blend until creamy. Spread on cooled cupcakes and enjoy!
They taste as good as they look and I promise you no one will know they are made of beets!
Check out another superfood sweet treat recipe from Begin Within Nutrition:
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!