Serve a decadent yet easy festive dessert this holiday season with this Cranberry Pomegranate Chocolate Cobbler!
One dessert that I do not make nearly enough is a good old-fashioned cobbler. They are so simple and easy to make that it seems almost shameless that I do not whip one up more often. I know cobblers are usually associated with summer fruits and berries, but they make an amazing go-to dessert year round. Just use whichever fruits and flavors happen to be in season at the time.
Since the holidays are already so busy for most of us, I thought why not come up with a festive cobbler that would be perfect for quick and effortless holiday entertaining?
Jewel toned pomegranate seeds and ruby red cranberries are the stars of this Cranberry Pomegranate Chocolate Cobbler. And the chunks of rich, dark chocolate pair perfectly with the sweet tartness from the pomegranate and cranberries. Finish this cobbler off with a dusting of sparkling sugar to give it a truly magical festive touch.
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- Sparkling sugar optional
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large pie plate or baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, water, 1/4 cup sugar, and cinnamon. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Continue heating until the cranberries begin to burst and the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the pomegranate seeds. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and 1 cup of sugar. Add in the buttermilk and continue whisking. Then pour in the melted butter and whisk until well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Spoon the cranberry-pomegranate mixture evenly over the top of the batter. Then sprinkle the chocolate chunks or chips evenly over the batter.
- Bake at 350 for about 1 hour, or until bubbly and golden brown. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired. Allow to cool to warm and then serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
If you loved this recipe, you might also like my…
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!