CHOCOLATE DONUT HOLES WITH CREAM ANGLAISE are delicious bites of chocolate heaven drizzled with a creamy berries and cream cheaters cream anglaise!
Last year we moved to Oregon the day before my little monkey’s birthday. So we started a new birthday tradition. Donuts! Donuts are a big part of the food scene here in Portland and they have so many great options to chose from that kids (and adults) go crazy for, like cereal topped donuts and donuts with cookies on top or even gum! This year he’s having a birthday “cake” made of donuts from our favorite donut shop!
When the kids are in school my husband and I will use that time to go on breakfast dates. We’re lucky to get to spend some weekend mornings together without work so we make sure to take advantage of it. On our last breakfast date before summer vacation we went to a super tasty restaurant in Portland and found chocolate donuts with a creme anglaise on the menu. They were absolute breakfast dessert heaven! I knew that I wanted to make them at home. I’ve baked lots of donuts but really wanted to get as close to these donuts as possible so I decided to go fried. With the time I was putting into frying them I didn’t want to spend time on the creme anglaise and that’s when I decided to cheat and use Fruttare Frozen Fruit and Milk Bars. I used both the Strawberry & Milk and Mix Berry & Milk flavors and both were amazing! You can try any of the flavors and I think you’d love them.
We love keeping the Fruttare Frozen Bars in the house. My kids love them because they taste like a smoothie or ice cream and I love them because their delicious and a super easy dessert! They’re full of pieces of real fruit so you can absolutely see how yummy they taste! Not only that but they’re such a positive company and always looking to the bright side and that’s absolutely my motto! You can find them in stores across the country so it’s easy to bring them home and taste the yumminess!
Make sure you look for these super tasty Fruttare Frozen Fruit Bars and make a batch of these Chocloate Donuts with “Creme Anglaise” to celebrate this weekend!
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- vegetable oil for frying enough to be 3 inches deep in saucepan
- 1 cup of granulated sugar for dusting donut holes after they're fried
- 3 Fruttare Frozen Fruit and Milk Bars in you favorite flavor melted
- sift together flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl
- using the paddle attachment on a stand mixer beat the eggs until they are foamy
- add in 1 cup of sugar slowly and continue to beat until sugar egg mixture looks light yellow in color and creamy in texture. (It will thicken)
- combine melted butter, milk and vanilla in a small bowl
- add the milk mixture into the egg mixture
- add in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined
- cover and place in refrigerator for 1 hour
- place a lot of flour on your work surface
- turn the dough onto the floured surface and sprinkle generously with more flour on top
- pat the dough out until it's 1/4 inch thick
- cover a baking sheet with wax paper and sprinkle more flour on it
- using a floured 1 inch cutter (I used the upside down side of a cupcake frosting tip) cut out little donut holes and place them on the floured pan
- allow them to sit for 10 minutes
- heat frying oil in a large saucepan or fryer to 375 degrees F
- place 6 donut holes at a time into the oil to help keep the temperature constant
- fry for 30 seconds and remove to a paper lined cooling rack
- pour remaining 1 cup of sugar into a dish
- after donuts have drained off excess oil, but while they are still hot, roll in sugar to coat all sides and set aside
- continue this process until all donut holes are cooked
- when ready to serve drizzle a little of the melted Fruttare Frozen Fruit Bars on a dish and place 3 donut holes on top, then drizzle more Fruttare on top of the donuts
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!