Rich, creamy and smokey chipotle goat cheese grits come together quickly with just a handful of ingredients and a whole lot of flavor!
I used to think I hated grits. Any time someone would order them at breakfast I literally could not understand what all the fuss was about, but then one day I went to a local culinary event and ate spicy shrimp and grits….oooommmmggggg….
Let’s just say it was a game changer. A big one. I knew that I had to put my own twist on this new food using some of my favorite flavors., which of course means CHEESE. Specifically, goat cheese. My very favorite.
The smokey chipotle peppers, creamy goat cheese and smooth grits all come magically together in flavor heaven, and the dish comes together super quickly when you use quick cooking grits. It’s a super simple side dish that can go perfectly with any meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely mined
- 1/2 cup quick cook grits
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup milk I used almond, but you can use any kind you like
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce finely chopped
- 1 ounce goat cheese
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium low heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add grits, vegetable broth and milk and cook according to package instructions. Stir in chipotle pepper and goat cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt and cornstarch. Add a small amount of the grits to the Greek yogurt to temper. Stir to combine. Do this 2-3 more times, then stir Greek yogurt into the pot with your grits.
- Serve immediately. Drizzle with extra chipotle sauce if desired.