Thanks to lots of sunshine, strawberry season is in full swing here in the Pacific Northwest. This Balsamic Strawberry Salad is the perfect solution to all those ripe strawberries!
I am lucky to have my own little strawberry patch in my backyard. I get to walk out my backdoor and pick myself a bowl full of strawberries whenever I want! Nothing beats a ripe, warm strawberry picked fresh out of the garden.
I love just about any dessert made with strawberries. Two of my favorite are homemade Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream and Brown Sugar Strawberry Shortcake. Today I have a delicious savory strawberry recipe for you. The addition of balsamic vinegar and fresh basil turns those strawberries into a delicious and savory side dish.
You can serve this as a side salad to any summertime meal. Not only is it delicious but it is just so darn pretty too.
It is easy to turn it into an appetizer too, a delicious Balsamic Strawberry Bruschetta. Just slice up a baguette, brush with some olive oil, and toast under the broiler. Add a layer of creamy goat cheese and a scoop of balsamic strawberry salad. Perfection!
You won’t know if you are eating dinner or dessert.
- 1 lbs. fresh strawberries rinsed and sliced
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar or less depending on sweetness of berries.
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- sliced baguette
- goat cheese
- olive oil
- In a bowl, combine sliced berries with sugar and allow to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with vinegar and add pepper to taste.
- Brush sliced bread with olive oil and place under broiler until bread begins to brown around the edges.
- Add a layer of goat cheese
- Spoon on strawberry mixture.