This rich & fudgy homemade brownie recipe is topped with a simple 3 ingredient frosting & salty bits of bacon. Delicious salty & sweet bacon brownies!
Do you love brownies? I sure do! Most of my life I would enjoy them plain – nothing on them. I never knew that people frosted & decorated brownies. I always thought that was reserved for cakes. So when I started blogging & I saw everyone sharing these over the top, amazing brownie ideas I was floored. I gave it a try & never looked back.
Adding frosting & toppings to brownies not only turns them into a substantial dessert – but it makes them harder to eat the whole tray in one sitting. Which I have to say, in this house– brownies without frosting seem to disappear before they are completely cooled. The whole pan – gone! I don’t know how that happens!
So since I love making brownies & I was already in bacon mode during bacon month in August, it was just natural to let that spill over. I decided to add bacon crumbles to the top of these frosted brownies & it was DELICIOUS! Salty & sweet come together perfectly – you will love it!
- 8 tbsp 1 stick butter - room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 Package crispy cooked bacon - crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line square glass baking dish with parchment & give a light spritz with cooking spray
- In large bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking soda & salt - whisk to combine
- In a smaller bowl combine chocolate chips & butter - microwave in 30 second intervals until melted - allow to cool slightly
- Add in sugar to melted butter & chocolate- stir
- Add eggs, milk & vanilla. - Stir well until combined
- Pour into dry mixture & fold until completely combined
- Transfer to prepared dish
- Bake for 20-30 minutes- might not appear done in the middle - that's okay, they will settle as they cool- that's what keeps it fudgy.
- Remove from oven
- Cool completely before adding frosting & cutting
- Once cool - spread frosting on in an even layer – sprinkle with bacon & enjoy
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment cream butter until light & fluffy
- Add in confectioners sugar & beat slowly
- Once mixture looks moist but crumbly add in milk & beat until fluffy again - if you want it a little softer add additional milk 1-2 tsp at a time