Salmon Souvlaki Skewers with Yogurt-Feta Sauce couldn’t be any easier to prepare. Perfect for those 5pm dinner “what’s for dinner?!” freak-outs!
As much as I’d like to imagine myself as the kind of person who is organized, who plans out all the meals for the whole week, waltzes into the kitchen after a long day at work to a prepped and ready to cook gourmet meal, I just am not.
Instead, I fly into the kitchen like a hurricane, freaking out that we have to get dinner going now! because our one and a half year old is hangry (aka: so hungry he is now just plain angry). And maybe I’m a little hangry myself…it has definitely been known to happen!
Well. Lucky for me, good food doesn’t have to take long to prep or cook…and this dish is evidence of that!
These souvlaki skewers are so simple…just cubed salmon, some fresh lemon slices, bell peppers and red onion are skewered, sprinkled with a little salt and pepper, then grilled up. They are served with a yogurt and feta sauce that also has a touch of garlic and lemon. Simple? Yes. But you wouldn’t guess it by the amazing flavors!
It was actually a little more complicated when I started out. I had a marinade for the salmon, but the truth was that after you taste the feta sauce, the subtleties of the marinade were completely lost. And I was more than happy to get rid of that extra step, because that means one less step to get dinner on the table!
Other reasons to love this dish: the fact that it is 100% cooked on the barbecue means less dishes to wash up…and no need to turn on the oven. Woo hoo!
And guys: when I see my husband practically licking his plate, I know I’m onto something good. These Souvlaki Salmon Skewers and Yogurt Feta Sauce are a real good thing!
Get more great recipes like this on our Real Housemoms Dinner pin board!
Yogurt Feta Sauce
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- freshly ground pepper
Souvlaki Salmon Skewers
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets cut into 1-inch cubes (if salmon has skin, leave it on, it will peel off easily after grilling)
- 1 lemon sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 3 bell peppers sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red onion sliced into 1 inch pieces
- metal skewers 8-10
- salt and pepper
- To Serve:
- Pita bread
- Lemon wedges
- Place the feta cheese in a medium bowl. Mash with the back of a fork until it is in small, uniform crumbles. Add the remaining ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Set aside.
Souvlaki Salmon Skewers:
- Pre-heat barbecue over medium-high.
- Assemble skewers with a mixture of salmon cubes, lemon slices, and bell pepper and onion pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spray barbecue with spray oil (don't be shy, you don't want the salmon to stick to the grill!).
- Arrange the skewers on the grill, and cook with the lid down for 4 minutes.
- Gently pry the skewers from the grill (the salmon may stick slightly, but should come off with a bit of teasing), and flip over. Put the lid down, and cook for another 4-6 minutes, until salmon is cooked through and flakes with a fork.
- Serve immediately with pita bread and lemon wedges.
Looking for more grilling inspiration? Check out these easy recipes from Sweet Peas & Saffron!