This ORANGE SPICE OLD FASHIONED is a fall twist on a delicious whiskey or brandy cocktail! Easy to throw together!
Y’all know how much I love my cocktails, right? Well, today I’m sharing with you new favorite – an Orange Spice Old Fashioned!
These typically start with a sugar cube, muddled with an orange rind, and a splash of bitters. Then in goes a little brandy or whiskey and a splash of soda. You top it with some cherries, and oh goodness you have a good cocktail on your hands.
I decided to put a little bit of a fall twist on this cocktail by using a little more orange than necessary, some orange bitters (easy to find, right next to your regular bitters), and then . . . THEN! you add a tiny pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg with the sugar. Just like the smallest little pinch, and it makes for the best cocktail.
I made it with both brandy and whiskey, and though I do love me some whiskey, I’m pretty solidly in the camp that believes that Old Fashioneds should be made with brandy. . . . it’s really the Wisconsin way to go. I also added a little more soda than your average bartender would, because I’m a mom of three kids, and let’s be real, I can’t be drinking hard liquor pretty much straight.
One yummy cocktail, friends!
More sipping cocktail recipes!
- 2 large orange peels
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- even small pinch of nutmeg
- 3 dashes of orange bitters
- 2 ounces whiskey or brandy
- 4 ounces lemon lime soda such as 7UP, or Sierra Mist
- In the bottom of a small tumbler, add the orange peels, sugar, and spices. Muddle together. (I just used the end of an ice cream scoop.)
- Add the orange bitters, whiskey or brandy, soda, and top with ice. Stir to combine.
You might also like