Sugar Cookie Icing
It takes only four ingredients and 5 minutes to make the absolute best cut out Sugar Cookie Icing that hardens to a glossy, shiny surface!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 34 cookies
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 6-8 teaspoons milk
- 4 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
- food coloring optional
Sift powdered sugar into a medium bowl. Add 6 teaspoons milk, corn syrup, and extract. Stir vigorously until icing is smooth.
If needed, add additional milk to thin icing more. You've reached the correct consistency for frosting if a scoop of icing slowly falls off the spoon. If making colored icing, divide into bowls and add food coloring.
TIPS FOR MAKING SUGAR COOKING ICING AND DECORATING
- Start with a couple teaspoons less of milk. Add the last 2 teaspoons as necessary.
- To achieve the perfect consistency add more powdered sugar to thicken and a touch of milk to thin.
- You've reached the correct consistency for frosting if a scoop of icing slowly falls off the spoon.
- Traditionally sugar cookie icing is flavored with almond or vanilla extract, but orange, lemon, maple, or coconut extracts can also be substituted.
- Sifting the powder sugar before adding milk will eliminate any potential lumps in the frosting.
- Sugar cookie icing can be piped as an outline and filled in for pristine edges. Alternatively, it can also be spread with a small knife and decorated with sprinkles.
- This frosting hardens quickly so have sprinkles ready to put on immediately.
- Before stacking or wrapping cookies, make sure the icing is completely hard. Set cookies on a baking sheet for 12 hours.
Calories: 31kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 1mg | Sugar: 7g | Calcium: 0.1%