Pearl Onion & Cheese Gratin
Pearl Onion & Cheese Gratin is a delicious side dish that is bursting with wonderful flavors! It is perfect for any meal, including Thanksgiving!
- 2 10-ounce packages fresh pearl onions, peeled (I used frozen)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups 6 ounces shredded white Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs Pulse 3 bread slices in a mini food chopper or food processor. It should yield 1 1/4 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Place onions in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to boil; reduce heat, and simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until onions are just tender (If using frozen onions, thaw and heat in the microwave or simmer on the stovetop for 3 to 4 minutes until onions are just tender. Drain well. Set aside)
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add half-and-half; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add salt and next 3 ingredients. Add 1 cup shredded cheese; stir until cheese melts. Gently stir in drained onions. Pour onion mixture into a lightly greased 1-quart baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
Toss breadcrumbs with melted butter and thyme until crumbs are well coated. Sprinkle evenly over cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and top is golden.