Buffalo Chicken Empanadas
Buffalo Chicken Empanadas have all the familiar spicy flavors of Buffalo wings tucked inside a flaky pastry and baked to crispy deliciousness.
Servings 12 Empanadas
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 1 small green pepper finely diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 3 cups finely diced rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 cups 6 ounces shredded or diced Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Buffalo wing sauce I used Frank's Original
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 packages of large Empanada discos thawed (Find these in the frozen food section)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Freshly chopped cilantro garnish
- Ranch or Bleu Cheese dressing for dipping
Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet and add diced onion and green pepper. Saute until the vegetables start to soften and add 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic. Saute another minute and remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine 3 cups finely diced rotisserie chicken, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, 1/2 cup Buffalo wing sauce, and sauteed onions and peppers. Give it a taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
Whisk 1 large egg with 1 tablespoon water.
Place the Empanada discos on parchment paper and brush edges of dough lightly with egg mixture. Place chicken filling in the center of each disco. Fold dough over the filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Continue making the empanadas until all the filling is used. I was able to make 12 discos with the filling. That will vary depending on how full you make them.
Place the empanadas on the parchment lined baking sheets leaving space in between. I had 6 empanadas on each baking sheet.
Brush the empanadas with the remaining egg mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until slightly browned and crispy.
Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, and serve with your favorite dressing for dipping. Enjoy!
Calories: 137kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 426mg | Potassium: 120mg | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 8.8mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 0.6mg