Brown Sugar Pineapple Chicken
I love sharing my favorite grilling recipes with my foodie friends like my new obsessive worthy sticky, sweet and tangy Brown Sugar Pineapple Chicken!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 22 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins or boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup canned pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- green onions
- extra sriracha to taste
Whisk the Marinade/Glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add 1/3 cup to a large freezer bag and whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil. Add the chicken and marinate 2-4 hours in the refrigerator. Refrigerate reserved the glaze separately.
When ready to grill, let the chicken sit at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and preheat grill to medium heat, 375 to 450°F.
Drain chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Grill the chicken undisturbed for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. (An inserted thermometer should read 165 degrees F when chicken is done.)
Meanwhile, add reserved glaze to a small saucepan and whisk in 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Place covered saucepan on the grill (or stove) and bring to a simmer (this can be done after the chicken is cooked if you don't have room on your grill). Once simmering, remove lid and whisk until thickened. Brush cooked chicken with glaze and serve any extra as a sauce for rice.
Garnish chicken with orange zest and green onions (optional).
*Prep time will vary due to marinating time.
STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS:
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Once very hot, drain chicken from marinade, pat dry and add to skillet. Cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, or until nicely browned on one side. Turn chicken over, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for approximately 3-5 more minutes (depending on thickness of chicken), or until chicken is cooked through. Remove to a plate and tent with foil.
- Whisk 2 teaspoons cornstarch to reserved Glaze and add to now empty skillet. Bring to a simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add chicken to Glaze and toss to coat. Garnish chicken with lemon zest and green onions and additional chili sauce to taste (optional).
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 739mg | Potassium: 648mg | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 70IU | Vitamin C: 8.2mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 0.9mg