Watermelon Salad is a refreshingly healthy side dish that is perfect for summer. This recipe combines all the best flavors of the season!
The closer we get to summer the more I find myself craving cool and crunchy salads. This Watermelon Salad recipe is the perfect summer side dish or afternoon snack. It perfectly combines the sweetness of a fruit salad with the savory flavors of my favorite Greek salad mix-ins. This unique and delicious salad will fulfill all of your summer cravings in just one bite.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
At first glance, a watermelon tomato salad may seem like a strange combination, but it is absolutely delicious. The sweetness of the watermelon and the acidity of the tomato pair extremely well together. The onion, basil, and feta work together to enhance the flavors of the fruit and bring a perfect savory touch to the salad that ties everything together.
WATERMELON SALAD INGREDIENTS
Watermelon- Make sure to use a seedless watermelon! No one wants to be spitting out black seeds when they are eating a salad.
Cherry Tomatoes- Cherry tomatoes are my favorite! They always pack the most flavor in the smallest package and are perfect for this salad!
Red Onion- Red onion has the mildest flavor when served raw. It works best in this watermelon tomato salad because it does not overpower the other flavors.
Basil- This recipe is the best watermelon basil salad, but you can also turn this recipe into a watermelon feta mint salad that is equally delicious! The basil gives the salad a more robust and savory flavor while the mint adds its own unique kick.
Feta- This recipe uses feta cheese, but you can use reduced-fat feta cheese you would like. If you are serving this salad to guests, you may want to make sure everyone loves feta before topping it off. If not you can easily keep the feta on the side so everyone can garnish their own.
HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON SALAD
Once your ingredients are chopped, this salad comes together in a snap!
- First, grab a large bowl and gently mix to combine the chopped watermelon, tomato, onion, and basil.
- Next, drizzle the contents of the bowl with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and stir. Season the mixture lightly with salt and pepper to taste, adjusting as needed until the seasoning is perfect.
- Garnish the salad by sprinkling feta cheese over the top and adding fresh basil sprigs. You can serve this salad chilled or at room temperature.
WHAT GOES WITH WATERMELON SALAD
I view this Watermelon Salad recipe as the ultimate summer side dish. So naturally, it should be served with the ultimate summer dinner! For me, it’s not summer until we are in the backyard barbecuing! This salad goes perfectly with your favorite barbequed meats, like honey mustard chicken kabobs or citrus chicken breast.
If you are looking for some complimentary sides, consider serving it along with your favorite grilled corn or easy grilled asparagus. For dessert, you can end the perfect meal with delicious grilled peaches and a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream! Just dreaming of this meal has me counting down the days to summer!
TRY THESE OTHER SUMMER SIDE DISH RECIPES
- Simple Grilled Summer Veggies
- Mexican Street Corn Dip
- Grilled Ranch Potatoes
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Bacon Broccoli Slaw
- More SIDE recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS WATERMELON FETA SALAD
Large Mixing Bowl: You need a large enough bowl to mix all of these delicious ingredients and a nice enough bowl to serve them in! Luckily, this bowl is perfect for both.
*This post originally posted on 06/03/0213.
- 3 cups seedless watermelon peeled and chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Fresh basil sprigs for garnish
- Place watermelon, tomato, onion, and basil in a large bowl. Gently mix to combine.
- Drizzle with oil and vinegar stir to coat.
- Check seasonings adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with crumbled feta and basil sprigs and serve chilled or at room temperature.