Quick and easy Tilapia Parmesan is crisp on the outside, flaky on the inside, and covered in your favorite marinara sauce and lots of cheese!
Light and simple Tilapia Parmesan is great for fish Friday, but just as delicious on any other day of the week! Ready in just 15 minutes, this tilapia is perfectly breaded and fried to a golden brown before it is covered with marinara and melted cheese and served over your favorite pasta.
QUICKER THAN CLASSIC CHICKEN PARM
If you’re looking for a lighter take on this comfort food classic, then this Tilapia Parmesan is right up your alley. The best part isn’t even the compliments you’ll get, it’s that it only takes 15 minutes to make!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH TILAPIA PARMESAN
- Ricotta Parmesan Garlic Bread – What’s a pasta dinner without a side of bread?
- Air Fryer Toasted Ravioli – If you want a quick and easy appetizer, these toasted ravioli are perfect!
Fish: We’re using tilapia for this recipe. It’s super budget-friendly as is really delicious when breaded and topped with Italian favorites.
Breading: Coat the fillets in the egg mixture before coating them in a mix of bread crumbs, flour, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Topping: Choose your favorite marinara sauce to top this Tilapia Parmesan and don’t forget the mozzarella and parmesan cheese to complete the dish.
HOW TO MAKE TILAPIA PARMESAN
STEP ONE: Start by combining the bread crumbs, flour, parmesan, salt, pepper, and garlic powder into a shallow dish. In a separate shallow dish, beat 2 eggs to coat the fillets. Bread the tilapia fillets by dipping them in the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture. Flip the fish to coat both sides, pressing it firmly into the coating. Place the breaded fillets on a separate plate once they’re coated.
STEP TWO: Continue by melting the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, place all the tilapia fillets into the skillet and cook them on each side for 3-5 minutes or until the crust is perfectly golden brown.
STEP THREE: Once the tilapia is finished cooking, spoon 2-3 tablespoons of marinara sauce over the top of each fillet and top it with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
STEP FOUR: Remove the tilapia fillets from the heat and cover them with a lid to melt the cheese. Serve over the top of your favorite pasta and enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- If you have large fillets (7 to 8 ounces) you may need to cook in batches or use 2 skillets. If you’re working in batches, melt 2 more tablespoons of coconut oil in the skillet before cooking the second batch.
- Keep a close eye on the tilapia because it can become chewy and rubbery if overcooked.
- Consider using wheat or whole-grain pasta alongside the fish for an even healthier dish.
HOW LONG DOES COOKED TILAPIA LAST IN THE FRIDGE
Cooked tilapia will last up to 3 days if properly stored in the fridge. You can place the tilapia fillets in an airtight container or wrap them in aluminum foil. When you reheat them, they should reach an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees F. For Tilapia Parmesan, if you know you’ll have leftovers I recommend leaving the marinara sauce and cheese off until you’re ready to reheat it.
HOW TO REHEAT TILAPIA PARMESAN
When I reheat this Tilapia Parmesan I like to use the air fryer because I feel like it gets me to the closest to that original crispy breading. I set my air fryer to 325 degrees F and reheat the tilapia for about 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on smaller pieces as you may need to adjust the cooking time so you don’t dry out the fish.
OTHER FANTASTIC FISH RECIPES
- Fish Fillet Sandwich with Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Fish Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
- Tuna Avocado Sushi Cups
- Cheesy Shrimp and Grits
- Parmesan Herb Salmon
- Salmon with Angel Hair
*This post originally posted on 03/21/2014.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (see note)
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 4 fillets tilapia
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- Cooked pasta for serving
- Fresh basil or parsley chopped, for garnish
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Set up a dredge station with 2 shallow bowls. In the first bowl, beat the eggs. In the second bowl, combine the bread crumbs, flour, Parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Dip a fish fillet into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture. Flip to coat both sides with the bread crumbs, pressing the fish down gently. S et breaded fillet on a plate and repeat with remaining fish.
- Place all the fish into the skillet at once. (see note) Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of marinara sauce on top of the cooked tilapia. Then top with mozzarella and the remaining Parmesan cheese divided evenly among the fillets.
- Remove the skillet from heat and cover with a lid to melt the cheese.
- Once the cheese is melted, plate the fish over your favorite pasta, sprinkle with chopped basil or parsley, and enjoy!