This Moist Chocolate Layer Cake is my family’s favorite cake for every birthday celebration, and a perfect first recipe to celebrate joining the Real Housemom’s contributor family!
Hi, I’m Michele from Flavor Mosaic. I’m thrilled to be a new monthly contributor for Real Housemoms. I love Aubrey’s blog and her awesome recipes like her Bacon Jalapeno Popper Quiche. Which is pretty amazing with a dollop of my Creamy Tomatillo Verde Avocado Salsa.
We just finished a giveaway to celebrate my blog’s birthday and readers were asked what food did they have to celebrate birthdays or anniversaries. We had a variety of answers but most often it was cake, and mostly chocolate cake. So I know I am not alone in my love of chocolate cake. My husband tells me it is not dessert unless it is chocolate.
This Moist Chocolate Layer Cake is a family tradition for a reason. It is moist, rich, and chocolatey, with a sweet, creamy frosting, and is super easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for it to cool before frosting and eating it. Can you tell by the puddled frosting on the plate that we couldn’t wait?
One thing I do to increase the richness of the chocolate flavor is to use instant coffee mixed with boiling water to enhance the chocolate flavor. It makes for a very rich chocolate flavor. Don’t worry. You can’t taste the coffee. I am not even a coffee drinker but love the depth the coffee gives the chocolate flavor.
What will you celebrate with this deliciously rich Moist Chocolate Layer Cake?
More chocolate recipes to make you weak in the knees!
- Chocolate Ganache Cups
- 4-Ingredient Chocolate Cake Batter Dip
- Chocolate Fondue
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Kahlua Bundt Cake
- More dessert recipes…
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 cup boiling water
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add in the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and stir. On medium speed mix the ingredients for about 3 or 4 minutes. Mix the instant coffee in with the boiling water. Pour the coffee into the batter and stir. Batter will be thin. Pour half of batter into one 9" round cake pan and the other half into the second 9" round cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Let them cool completely on baking racks before frosting.
If you like this try my Cherry Cheesecake Brownies.
Or try my Cinnamon Apple Pie Bread Pudding.