This simple Fruit Salsa recipe is a fresh and easy dish that’s wonderful served on homemade cinnamon chips! Great for snacking, or summer parties!
I was making this simple fruit salsa to bring to a cookout and I realized I’ve never shared the recipe with you. I’ve been making it for years and it’s always a hit at summer parties. It’s different from the usual chips and salsa, or fruit salad that people bring, to a summer get-together, not to mention it is totally delicious, so I always get requests for the recipe.
I’m going to share with you how I make it but you can add any fruits you want to the mix. It’s one of those recipes that is all about what tastes good to you. I make mine with strawberries, kiwis, and Granny Smith apples. I love the mix of sweet and tart, especially when it is scooped up on a homemade cinnamon chip! I like my salsa chunky so I cut all of the fruits up by hand, dicing them into small little pieces. Then I put all of the fruit together in a bowl, and sprinkle about a 1/4 cup of sugar over it, tossing everything so it gets mixed together well. Then I squeeze half of a lemon over all of it. The lemon juice helps keep the apples from turning brown and counteracts the sugar giving the salsa a little tartness. Once it is all mixed together I cover it and let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
While the salsa flavors are all coming together you can make the cinnamon chips. Sure you can eat this salsa by the spoonful but you don’t want to miss out on these chips, and they are SO easy to make! All you do is preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lay out flour tortillas on a baking sheet and brush them with melted butter, sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar, and cut them into triangles (like a pizza). Then arrange them on the baking sheet and bake them for about 7 minutes. Every oven is different so keep an eye on them, you want them crispy but not burnt.
That’s it. Once your chips are ready pull your salsa back out of the fridge and dig in…or try to resist it until you get to the party. I promise if you take this to a summer cookout you won’t be bringing any leftovers home!
Get more great recipes like this on our Real Housemoms Appetizer pin board!
- 1 pint Strawberries
- 2 Kiwi
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1/2 of a Lemon
- 6 Tortillas flour
- 1/2 Stick Butter
- 1 c Sugar
- 1 - 2 Tbsp Cinnamon to your taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Remove caps from strawberries and peel kiwis and apple.
- Finely dice all fruit and mix together in a large bowl.
- Add 1/4 c sugar and juice from half of a lemon and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This can be made a day ahead of time and refrigerated overnight.
- Melt half a stick of butter in the microwave.
- Lay out 6 tortillas and brush butter over them, covering them completely.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over tortilla covering completely.
- Cut tortillas into wedges and arrange on the baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 7 minutes or until crispy.
If you liked this recipe make sure to check out our: