Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake only takes 10 minutes to assemble! It is the most delicious cake you probably aren’t making yet but will be!
I don’t know a soul who doesn’t love ice cream cake. With summer just weeks away, I can’t think of a better dessert to treat your family to on a hot night than this Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. This creamy frozen dessert is so simple to put together you can have it chilling in your freezer while you whip up one of your favorite slow cooker recipes freeing up your day for some summer fun!
EASY ICE CREAM SANDWICH CAKE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Normally, I am all about making something from scratch but I’m not above using some cheats here and there to save some time! Especially when a hack like making ice cream cake with ice cream sandwiches gives you this delicious of an outcome! Seriously, this ice cream cake is such a crowd-pleaser. My kids even go as far as to request this dessert on their birthdays which is fine by me!
EASY ICE CREAM SANDWICH CAKE INGREDIENTS
Ice Cream Sandwiches- This recipe uses a total of 6 vanilla sandwiches to build the two layers of this ice cream cake. I use Blue Bunny brand, but you can use any brand you can find in your local grocery store. The only requirement really is that they are rectangular, or your cake will have lots of gaps.
You may even experiment with different flavors you find! You can try Neapolitan, cookies and cream, or even mint!
Cool Whip- Technically you can make your own whipped cream if you prefer, but I say keep it simple! An 8 oz. tub of Cool Whip works perfectly for this Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake recipe. It even comes in Extra Creamy, Sugar Free, or Lite varieties if you have a preference!
Oreos- You only need 4 or 5 crushed Oreos for the Oreo layer, but you are of course welcome to add more! There are also lots of fun flavors to experiment with here if are feeling creative. Mint Oreos work great with Mint flavored ice cream sandwiches! Or you can do what I do and use Double Stuffed!
HOW TO MAKE ICE CREAM SANDWICH CAKE
Now that you have selected all of your chosen ingredients, it’s time to assemble this cake!
- First, line an 8 1/2-inch by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Allow the extra paper to line the walls and hang over the sides of the pan.
- Unwrap 3 of the ice cream sandwiches and line the bottom of the pan. You will need to cut one of the sandwiches in half and lay the halves side by side to properly fill the pan.
- Next, top the ice cream sandwich layer with 4 oz. of Cool Whip (approximately half the tub). Spread the Cool Whip layer evenly over the sandwiches.
- Now sprinkle the crushed Oreo cookies over the layer of Cool Whip, distributing them evenly.
- Next, add the final layer of ice cream sandwiches over the top of the Cool Whip and Oreos. Place the sandwiches the same as the first layer and gently press them into the Cool Whip layer to squish the Whip into the sides and crevices.
- Finish by spreading the remaining Cool Whip onto the top of the ice cream sandwich cake and covering it completely.
- Finally, cover the cake with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for at least an hour until firm.
- When you remove the cake from the freezer, lift the parchment and remove the cake from the pan. Then use a knife to smooth out the Cool Whip on the top and sides, redistributing it if necessary. Your easy ice cream cake is ready to serve!
To decorate your ice cream sandwich cake, add some rainbow sprinkles, more crushed Oreos, or even a chocolate drizzle on top. The sky is the limit! I’ve even added sliced strawberries and blueberries for the 4th of July.
TRY THESE OTHER EASY DESSERT RECIPES
- Easy Bananas Foster Topping
- Cherry Cheesecake Dip
- Strawberry Jello Cake
- Grilled Peaches
- Rice Pudding
- More DESSERT recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS ICE CREAM SANDWICH CAKE RECIPE
Loaf Pan: Now I recognize that not everyone may have an 8 1/2-inch by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan just laying around. Luckily, this pan is the perfect size for an ice cream sandwich cake!
Rubber Spatula: This is my favorite tool for spreading and I love how it helps me get every last bit of Cool Whip from the tub!
*This post originally posted on 01/03/2015.
- Line an 8 1/2-inch x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Allow the extra paper to hang over the sides of the pan. This will help you lift it out of the pan later.
- Unwrap three of the ice cream sandwiches and cut one in half. Leave the other two sandwiches whole.
- Arrange the ice cream sandwiches in bottom of the prepared loaf pan. They should cover the bottom of the pan completely.
- Top the ice cream sandwiches with about half of the Cool Whip. Then spread to cover the sandwiches completely. Sprinkle the crushed Oreos all over the Cool Whip layer.
- Unwrap the other three ice cream sandwiches and cut one in half. Layer the ice cream sandwiches in the same manner as before, and then push them down gently. This will help the Cool Whip squish all over the sides of your cake.
- Top with the remaining Cool Whip and spread it edge to edge to cover the cake completely.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for at least an hour until firm.
- When you're ready to serve, remove the pan from your freezer. Lift parchment to remove the cake from the pan. Peel the parchment paper off the sides. Use a spatula to transfer the cake to a serving plate.
- Using an offset spatula or butter knife, smooth out the Cool Whip spreading it to cover any areas that need more coverage.
- If desired, garnished the cake with sprinkles, crushed Oreos, chocolate sauce, or caramel sauce. Cut into 6 slices and enjoy!