Easy Cheesy Southwest Breakfast Casserole is an easy to prepare, delicious, gluten free, crowd pleasing breakfast casserole with just a touch of heat.
Hello everyone! Renee here from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures! I am so excited to be joining the fantastic RH team and will be posting some yummy stuff here each month. On my blog, Renee’s Kitchen Adventures, I focus on diet friendly, lower-calorie fare, but I always save room for some indulgence! Today, I’m sharing this Easy Cheesy Southwest Breakfast Casserole. It is an easy to prepare, delicious, gluten free, crowd-pleasing breakfast casserole with just a touch of heat.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
What is great about this recipe is that you can use lower fat cheeses, egg beaters, and turkey sausage to slim it down, or you can go full throttle with full fat ingredients and whole eggs for a more decadent meal. Both versions are delicious! I like that it is gluten free too. I don’t follow a gluten-free diet, but I know many people do and this recipe really delivers.
What really “makes” this dish is the addition of cottage cheese. I have to admit, when I first found the inspiration for this recipe on Allrecipes, I wasn’t sure I would like it. After tweaking the recipe a bit to my tastes, what I ended up with was a really solid breakfast casserole. This dish is great for potlucks and brunches too. ( If you need to make it for a crowd, simply double the ingredients and use a 9″ x 13″ pan! )
This Easy Cheesy Southwest Breakfast Casserole recipe made the cut for our holiday breakfast menu this year! If you liked this recipe, you’ll love our other easy casserole recipes!
- 2 cups frozen O'Brien Style with peppers and onions Hash Brown Potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 8 oz. fully cooked turkey breakfast sausage chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese reserve about 2-3 TBS for topping
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepper-jack cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 large eggs beaten
- salt and pepper to your liking
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8" x 8" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Top the casserole with the reserved cheddar cheese.
- Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes or until set and golden brown on top.
- Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting in squares.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also like:
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!