I LOVE olives! I did not like green olives until I was pregnant with my son and I always craved them with cottage cheese. I know, it sounds very strange and pregnancy cravings sometimes come out of left field, but I loved it and ate it a lot. Since then, I eat them and all types of olives, all the time, alone and in various recipes.
Last year my brother and his family came out for Easter and I always plan out a menu when we have visitors. I knew they loved olives, as well as tapenade, so when I found Three Olive Tapenade at Former Chef, I knew it would be hit. They loved it and said it was the best tapenade they have ever had! It was amazing on Club crackers and we polished off a large bowl. Since then, I have made it a few more times for my parents and friends, and everyone always enjoys it. My brother came out again this Easter and since they enjoyed the appetizer so much last year, I of course had to make Three Olive Tapenade again and it disappeared in minutes!
With all of this beautiful weather we are having here in Arizona and a lot of get togethers with friends and pool days coming up, I will be making this tapenade many more times. Three Olive Tapenade is delicious, full of amazing flavors, very addictive. and a perfect appetizer for warm weather!
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 cup large green olives, pitted
- 1 cup California olives, pitted
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut into 1″ pieces
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp parsley, loosely chopped
- 1 tbsp basil, loosely chopped
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- Put the olives, capers, garlic and red pepper into a food processor
- Pulse in 1 second intervals 10-15 times and scrape down the sides of the bowl
- Add the herbs, lemon juice and olive oil and pulse another 10 times or so, stopping in the middle to scrape down the sides of the bowl
- In the end, you want the pieces to be 1/8″ to 1/4 ” in size and you want to see all the colors of the olives and peppers