I can’t believe that it’s almost Valentine’s Day! Honestly I feel like I just put Christmas away. (Maybe because I did.) February has always been one of my favorite months. I love celebrating Valentine’s Day but my husband and I both have birthdays this month. February is also when I start to use more Strawberries. They’re not quite in season yet but when Valentine’s comes along I will start to dream up ways to use them. This year my first strawberries went into my Strawberry & Lime Moscato Punch. If you haven’t seen it yet, be sure to check it out. It’s been super popular on Facebook!
We’ve been snowed in here all weekend so I did some baking. I mean, that’s what you do when you can’t go out too much, right? In fact, before the storm got bad I went up to the store. I got all the essential baking supplies, then later realized I should have picked up some stuff for dinner too. Whoops. That’s when the freezer storage comes in handy.
This Strawberry Pound Cake with Champagne Glaze was the one of the tasty snow day creations. It’s so delicious. Pound cake is great because it’s so fast to put together, and you can eat it plain or fancy it up with toppings. I used some food coloring just to make it look pretty for February but that’s really not necessary. I like the flavor of the champagne glaze with the strawberry pound cake for a special occasion like Valentine’s Day, but if you don’t have any on hand you could just use milk in its place.
- ½ c butter, softened
- 1½ c granulated sugar
- ½ c strawberry Greek yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1½ c flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- **red food coloring to make the cake pink, optional**
- 1½ c powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp champagne
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- in a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- add in eggs one at a time
- mix in the Greek yogurt
- in a small bowl combine the flour and baking soda
- add into the wet ingredients and stir until combined
- pour into a 8 x 4 inch greased loaf pan
- bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center
- allow to cool on a wire rack
- combine the powdered sugar and champagne until smooth
- pour over the top of the pound cake and allow to run down the sides of cake
- slice and enjoy!