These Skinny Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are so full of flavor that no one will know that they’re skinny! You can even make a double batch and freeze one for later. It’s the perfect make-ahead family meal!
SKINNY CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Don’t be fooled by the word skinny. These enchiladas are FULL of flavor! My favorite enchiladas are creamy but anything with the work creamy tends to not be a friend to my waistline! I had a craving recently for some enchiladas so I went on the hunt for a new recipe to try. I found this one from SheKnows.com and knew I had to try it.
Like most cooks, I added some extras to make them mine but the base of the recipe was fantastic. I think green chilies are perfect in creamy enchiladas and so I had to have them in there. They aren’t spicy so it works for the entire family too.
Beyond just tasting amazing, enchiladas are a great make ahead meal and even pretty inexpensive to make too! I used some chicken I had in the freezer from my last double batch of Super Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos. Next time I make this I’ll make a second batch in an aluminum baking dish so I can freeze it for later. It would take the same amount of time to make two as it does to make one, so why not? I love having dishes like this in my freezer for those nights when I just don’t have the time or energy to make dinner.
My husband was blown away by how delicious these enchiladas were and went back for more! Make a batch this week and then make a second one to freeze for later! 🙂
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 T butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 3/4 t salt
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t ground coriander
- 3 1/2 T flour
- 2 1/2 c chicken stock, hot
- 6 oz. non fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 c cooked chicken shredded (I used a double batch of Super Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos)
- 7 oz Diced Green Chilies Fire Roasted, mild
- 8 to 10 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 c low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2.25 oz sliced black olives
- fresh tomato, diced
- cilantro, chopped
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray
- add olive oil and butter in a med sauce pan over med heat
- add onion and garlic and allow to cook for 3 min
- add in garlic powder, 1/4 t salt, 1/4 t cumin, and 1/2 t coriander
- stir in flour and cook for 1 min
- slowly whisk in the hot chicken stock
- continue to whisk until no lumps of flour remain
- bring to a boil then reduce heat
- allow to simmer for 10 min
- once it has thickened remove from heat and whisk in the Greek yogurt
- in a med bowl combine shredded chicken with 1/2 of yogurt mixture
- stir in 2 T of green chilies, 1/4 t cumin and 1/4 t coriander
- dip each tortilla into the remaining yogurt mixture and fill with 1/4 to 1/3 cup of chicken mixture
- roll and lay seam down into the baking dish
- continue with remaining chicken and tortillas
- pour remaining sauce on top of tortilla rolls evenly
- sprinkle with cheese, then remaining green chilies and sliced olives
- place in the oven for 20 min until heated through
- garnish with dice tomatoes and chopped cilantro and serve!