Skinny Broccoli Macaroni & Cheese is made all in one pot and is rich, creamy, and lighter on calories! Made with my special lightened-up ultra-creamy sauce!
SKINNY BROCCOLI MACARONI & CHEESE
Love it? Pin it to your DINNER board to SAVE it!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest for more great recipes!
I know setting resolutions for the new year is so cliche, but I always try to set one up for myself. I always make the super cliche ones, like losing weight (don’t we all want that?!), save more money, etc. This year I was thinking about setting a personal goal for myself, and that is to put myself out there more. Of course, I would like to lose a little weight, so that’s why I am going to start off the new year with this ultra-decadent skinny broccoli macaroni & cheese. Have you made your resolution yet?
Don’t be afraid of the “skinny” word in recipes. I used to be because I always thought it meant less flavor and it doesn’t. In reality, sometimes it does, but trust me on this broccoli macaroni & cheese. It’s everything you want in a macaroni & cheese – creaminess and cheesiness. This macaroni & cheese has so much flavor. I promise you everyone will be coming back for seconds, maybe even thirds!
My special lightened-up ultra-creamy sauce consists of pureed cauliflower. If you were to take a bite out of this macaroni & cheese, you wouldn’t even notice there was cauliflower in it! It has just enough creamy sauce that hugs each and every noodle just right. It all started with a small cauliflower steam, then I diced it into florets, and then steamed it. Once it was tender, I placed the cauliflower and a little bit of vegetable stock to a blender and blended it until creamy. Pureed cauliflower also makes for delicious and low-carb mashed potatoes! My favorite, too.
If you love macaroni & cheese, I highly recommend my One-Pot Chicken & Vegetable Mac and Cheese! It’s so good and decadent. If you are in the mood for a lightened-up casserole, I would also recommend my Skinny Tuna Noodle Casserole (one of my favorites!).
- 1 small head of cauliflower, diced into florets and steamed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12-ounce box of whole-wheat macaroni noodles
- 4 cups frozen broccoli florets
- cauliflower puree
- 1 1/3 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- croutons, to garnish (optional)
- Pulse the steamed cauliflower and vegetable broth in a blender until smooth and creamy. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles al dente according to the directions on the back of the package. The last 5 minutes, place the broccoli florets into the pasta. Drain and place the noodles and broccoli back into the same pot.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cauliflower puree, Monterey jack cheese, and sharp cheddar cheese and allow the cheese to melt. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the mixture into a serving dish and garnish with croutons.