These Raw Veggie Tarts are a tasty and kid friendly way to enjoy loads of chopped up fresh vegetables. They’re perfect for a snack or to serve at a party!
I’m not gonna lie – these little rectangles of puff pastry, covered in a flavorful cream cheese spread, topped with loads of raw veggies was pretty darn tasty. As in, I think I devoured 3 of them in a matter of minutes. Put raw broccoli in front of me and I’ll turn away. Dice it up real small and serve it to me like this and you’ll see me turn into an instant pig. I went a little bit overboard with the photos with this post but you’ll get to see what I did step by step.
The spread that holds it all together is a mixture of softened cream cheese, mayo, fresh garlic that packs a punch, and fresh herbs. Fresh herbs always make everything better. I’m a huge fan.
Then you dice up a bunch of raw veggies. Here’s a little glimpse into everything I had in my refrigerator that needed to be used up. That’s actually how this recipe blossomed – I was staring at so many vegetables that needed to be used up so I just got a little crazy with the knife. Wet veggies like tomatoes don’t work well, but I love to use broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, and green onions.
The next thing you do is unroll a puff pastry sheet, cut it into rectangles, and bake it in the oven. Did you know puff pastry can puff up to 8 times its original thickness? As soon as I took mine out of the oven, I smashed it down with another cookie sheet. That was fun.
Spread an nice thick layer of your cream cheese mixture across the top.
And then smash a handful of raw veggies right on top of that.
Aren’t they pretty? This recipe is really easy to throw together and the colors just make me happy.
If you’re wondering what the red things are – they are carrots. I buy the multi color packs at Trader Joe’s simply because they make me happy. I really like how they add pizzazz.
And this is what it looked like after I took my first of many monster sized bites. Mmmmmm. So good!
- one puff pastry sheet (there are usually two in a box)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- small handful fresh herbs (I used chives, thyme, marjoram)
- 1-2 cups diced raw vegetables (I used mushroom, multi colored carrots, bell pepper, asparagus, green onions, broccoli, as well as basil and more chives)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut puff pastry square into 9 equal sized rectangles. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and puffy, about 10-15 minutes. Once removed from oven, flatten with a plate or baking sheet. Allow to fully cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine, cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic and herbs. Spread onto cooled pastry squares.
- Top with chopped vegetables.
- Serve immediately.