One bite and these PUMPKIN CREPES WITH MAPLE CREAM SAUCE will become your favorite fall dessert!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year (nope, not Christmas!) – it’s fall, it’s pumpkin season and it’s apple season! All of my favorites rolled into one (as in this dessert)! I love when the days get a bit cooler as it really puts me in the mood to make more desserts and this one really hits the spot.
Not only will you want to enjoy this entire recipe, but the spiced apples and maple cream sauce are recipes on their own. Feel free to make them for toppings on pancakes or waffles and the sauce would be awesome on bread pudding. So how’s that? A complete recipe and some other ideas for using the apples and cream sauce! Don’t you love when recipes have flexibility? I do.
Making crepes is one of my favorite to go desserts. As I mentioned when making these Triple Berry Crepes, they are easy to do and can be whipped up in no time. They look elegant and everyone thinks I (we’ve) fussed. The actual crepes (not assembled) can be made ahead of time and will keep in the refrigerator until needed (either the day ahead or earlier in the day). Just give them a quick (10-15 sec) zap in the microwave and they are ready to go.
Sometimes I roll either some fruit or Nutella in them but other times I just fold into fourths (like these today) and then use a a topping. (NOTE: If you want to jazz up the sauce a bit, add either a tablespoon of bourbon or spiced rum to the sauce when it is done. It will give it a nice flavor but for the over 21 crowd only!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup milk plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups diced apples (cored, peeled) - about 3 medium
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup (light would be OK also)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons pure maple syrup (not tested with other varieties)
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Combine egg, pumpkin, milk, water, melted butter, and vanilla in a blender and mix until smooth
- In a small bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet in blender and combine until completely smooth
- Preheat a 8" saute skillet (non-stick is best) over medium high heat and brush a bit of butter on skillet.
- Pour 1/4 cup of crepe mixture onto skillet and swirl around until to reaches all edges.
- Cook for about 1 1/2 minutes until edges get a bit dry and the bottom is light brown; flip over and continue cooking about another 1 1/2 minute
- Use all batter and set crepes aside
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and then add the cinnamon, brown sugar and corn syrup
- Stir in apples and cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes until they are soft but not mushy
- Combine in a medium sauce pan all ingredients over medium heat.
- Stir constantly. When mixture comes to a low boil maintain that boil and keep stirring - cool to room temperature.
- To assemble crepes - fold 2-3 into fourths, place on plate and top with apples and maple cream sauce