The only way to cook an entire moist and tasty chicken in under thirty minutes while locking in the most flavor is by making a PRESSURE COOKER WHOLE CHICKEN!
I am all about pressure cooking these days. Take it from me, if you don’t already have an electric pressure cooker yet, do you and your family a huge favor and hop on over to Amazon and order one. You will not regret it. From healthy soups, to braised meats, to veggies like squash, potatoes, and artichokes, pressure cooking couldn’t be easier and the results will blow your mind!
One of the things that makes me nervous about pressure cooking is that I can’t lift the lid and take a peek. I like to cheat when I cook. That way I know I can stop the cooking process at the exact right moment. Well, with a pressure cooker, you have to trust the recipe you’re following. Alas, if its still underdone, you need not worry. All you need to do is cook it for a few more minutes and you’ll be golden.
Cooking a whole chicken like this is not only super easy, but its extremely healthy and quite possibly the best way to serve fork tender protein rich savory white meat to your family.
Serve it up for dinner or shred the meat to use in a different recipe like enchiladas or for your lunch time salads. You don’t have to heat up your house like you would if you were roasting the chicken in the oven, so using your pressure cooker is perfect any time of year. Give it a try – you will love it!
- 1 (3-4 pound) whole chicken, thawed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic
- Cover the chicken with the thyme, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Heat pressure cooker to browning setting and brown the chicken, breast side down, for about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken breast side up.
- Add chicken broth to the bottom of the pot. Cut lemon in half, squeeze the lemon on the chicken, and then place the two halves from the lemon in the pot along with the garlic.
- Bring the pressure cooker to high pressure and cook at high pressure for about 20-25 minutes (depending on weight of the chicken with 3 pounds being 20 minutes and 4 pounds being 25 minutes).
- Once done cooking, allow pressure to naturally release.
- Insert meat thermometer into breast and ensure it reads at least 165 degrees F.
Did you know chicken thighs only take 8 minutes to cook in the pressure cooker? I’ve made this incredible Hawaiian Sesame Chicken:
As well as this healthy Mole Chicken with rice, spinach, and zucchini using my pressure cooker. YUM!