MINI SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE is an easy Thanksgiving side dish filled with crunchy pecans, sweet brown sugar, and cinnamon!
This is my favorite time of year! The upcoming holidays mean getting to spend more time with friends and family, and of course lots and lots and amazing food. I’m always up for experimenting with new recipes, but in my family everyone has their “must-have” Thanksgiving dish that has to be on the menu no matter what. That doesn’t leave a lot of room for new recipes unless we want 6 sides to go along with dinner (it’s happened!). So, instead I just try to put a slightly different spin on a classic. This year it is sweet potato casserole.
This is a family favorite and it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving if it wasn’t on the menu. Usually it is made in a casserole dish but to fancy things up a little this year I am making mini sweet potato casseroles. Each sweet potato ring is filled with sweet potato mash sweetened with brown sugar, cinnamon, and orange juice, and topped with a blend of brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecan topping.
Then they are baked until the topping is bubbly. Yum! It is all of the flavors of traditional sweet potato casserole packed into individual servings. Tastes great, looks impressive, and it makes sending leftovers home with everyone super easy!
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ c Brown Sugar
- ¼ c Chopped Pecans
- 2 Tbsp Butter, melted
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- Place sweet potatoes in a pot and fill with enough water to cover them.
- Bring water to a boil and cook until the potatoes have softened.
- Remove sweet potatoes from water and cut them into 1 1/2" slices and place them on a greased baking sheet.
- Slide the peel off of the sweet potato slices.
- Sit end pieces of the potatoes to the side.
- Use a spoon to take a scoop out of the center of each sweet potato slice, making sure not to go through the bottom.
- In a small bowl mash the scooped out portions and the end pieces of the sweet potatoes, together with the brown sugar, orange juice, and cinnamon.
- Stuff the sweet potato mash back into the sweet potato slices.
- Make the topping by mixing the brown sugar, chopped pecans, butter and cinnamon together.
- Pour topping over each sweet potato slice.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until topping is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and serve.
If you’re entertaining this holiday season you might also like these: