Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls are a delicious twist to the classic sweet roll perfect for warm spring and summer mornings and coffee on the porch!
I don’t know about you, but breakfast is my favorite meal. If it were just the kids and I, we’d probably eat breakfast for lunch and dinner too. During the week it needs to be fast and easy, but come Saturday and Sunday, that’s when it gets really fun.
We do a lot of pancakes and waffles, but I love making sweet rolls. Cinnamon rolls are a favorite with the kids for sure, but with the gorgeous weather we have been having I wanted to try something more springlike.
I used my go-to sweet rolls base, and added lots of fresh lemon zest and juice and big juicy blueberries. These sweet rolls are FULL of lemon flavor.
It’s hard not to be sunny and cheerful waking up to fresh from the oven lemon blueberry sweet rolls.
- for the rolls -
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 envelope of active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp salt
- for the filling -
- 1/4 cup sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup of blueberries
- for the glaze -
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- juice of one lemon
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- For the dough
- place the milk in a small saucepan, and bring just to a simmer
- remove from the heat, and add the butter
- once the butter has melted, and the mixture has cooled to lukewarm, mix in the sugar, egg, yeast, and 2 cups of the flour
- knead using the dough hook of a stand mixer, adding the reserved flour 1/2 cup at a time until you have a smooth ball of dough
- place the dough in a greased bowl,cover, and let rise until doubled - 1 - 1 1/2 hours
- For the filling -
- toss the blueberries with the sugar and lemon zest
- Once the dough has risen, roll into a rectangle
- spread the filling over the dough
- starting at the long edge, roll the dough up
- using a very sharp knife, cut into 12 or 16 rolls
- place the rolls in a baking dish (pie plates work well also)
- cover the rolls and allow them to rise 30 minutes
- pre-heat the oven to 375 F.
- bake the sweet rolls for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden brown
- remove from the oven to cool on a rack
- For the icing -
- combine the confectioners sugar with the lemon juice and melted butter, mix until smooth
- spread over the rolls while they are still warm
you may also like