With spring in full bloom, I’m ditching my winter boots and heavy socks and trading them in for lightweight flats and sandals, especially for these DIY LACED FLATS!
I recently moved from LA to Seattle last August and let me tell you friends, I have never seen so much rain in my entire life! It’s green and beautiful and so ALIVE here but I have to admit,
I’m incredibly excited to enjoy spring and semi dryer forecasts.
So when I spotted these laced up flats from Michael Kors, it was love at first sight! Unfortunately, the price tag was not a match made in heaven; $495.00 *might* be my food budget for the month – no offense, Michael.
Free People also sells a really cool laced up flat, the wider straps are irresistible and a good contrast to your typical thinner strapped flats that are everywhere right now. But again, a little out of my budget.
So on one of my many trips down the glorious isles of Target, I spotted the most amazing flats and that’s when it hit me, I can make my own. And you know what? I DID!
You can, too, and that’s what I’m sharing with you today!!
To recreate these DIY Laced Up Flats, you will need:
- Jump rings,
- Ribbon/cording (faux or real) 2-3 yards worth depending on how strappy you want them,
- Small Jewelry Pliers,
- Scissors (not shown),
- Something to puncture holes with (ie. thick/wide needle, nail, leather hole puncher – not shown),
- Something to mark temporary holes with (ie. chalk, waxed pencil, washable marker – not shown).
- With your marker, evenly mark placement holes, as seen below,
- Staying close to the edge, carefully puncture holes into your shoes with a leather hole puncher,
I did not have one of those hole punchers laying around the house,
so I actually used a nail, as seen in the photo below,
- Using your needle nose pliers, open your jump rings and attach the rings to the holes made in your shoe.
- Thread an extra, extra long piece of cording onto your flat, through the jump rings, and around your ankles.
Cut and measure length for the other shoe and repeat.
- Once both shoes are laced to perfection you are ready to walk out the door!
I had a bunch of these items already at home, so I only dropped $13 for this strappy look and I am so happy with the final result! I love how much it has transformed this simple flat into something a little more playful. The difference is exciting! I’m a sucker for a good transformation.
Hopefully you, too, will give them a try and with all that money you saved, you can splurge on dessert, like this, Snickers Poke Cake. If these shoes were a dessert, they would be this dessert!
**Bonus points if you make these shoes AND eat your cake, too! Thanks so much for stopping and have a glamorous day!