BLUEBERRY BUTTERMILK COFFEE CAKE is a delightfully moist cake bursting with fresh blueberries and a cinnamon pecan filling! You’ll want to bake one up immediately to go with your next cup of coffee!
I will be honest. I don’t bake coffee cakes as often as I should. I really don’t know why. They are incredibly delicious and such a nice little treat to have with my daily afternoon cup of coffee. The last time I made a coffee cake was when I made Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch Cake last spring and it was so good! But I digress…back to THIS amazing cake! This Blueberry Buttermilk Coffee Cake is showstopping! Not only is it gorgeous, but it is also everything you would want in a good coffee cake!
It is moist and actually stays moist even the next day. The blueberries give it the perfect little pop of sweetness and the cinnamon pecan filling…OMG…so good! It’s also very easy to make. I used my bundt pan to give this cake a nice presentation and then dusted it with powdered sugar.
My husband gave this cake two thumbs up, and since we are now empty-nesters, I sent the entire cake off to his office. He came back that night with a cake plate that looked like it had been licked clean.
He said, “Everyone LOVED the cake you sent! They want to know what you are making tomorrow!”
This cake would be a perfect cake to celebrate Mother’s Day next month, take to a pot luck, or serve at brunch. Not a fan of blueberries? You can swap the blueberries for your favorite berry. Make sure you use a non-stick bundt pan and spray it well with a baking spray that has flour in it. The blueberries and the sugar from the filling will have a tendency to make it stick to the pan and no one wants a broken coffee cake!
I hope you give this recipe a try and come back to let me know what you think!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a non-stick 9" bundt pan with baking spray with flour.
- In large bowl, beat the butter and granulated sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. (about 3 minutes)
- Beat in the eggs, one a time. Add in the buttermilk and vanilla and beat on low until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Fold into the wet mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared bundt pan and level. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture in a strip in the middle of the batter, staying away from the edges of the pan.
- Spread the remaining batter into the bundt pan on top of the brown sugar mixture and level top with a spatula.
- Bake in oven for 55 - 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out cleanly. Take out of oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto serving platter and allow to cool before serving. Dust cake with powdered sugar before slicing.