Growing up we didn’t have twiced baked potatoes very often. I think I was at a friends house the first time I had them and I was hooked! I’m mean what’s not to love? They’re a mash up of smashed potatoes, baked potatoes and cheese!!!!
I started to plan a special steak dinner, the other night, for my husband and you just have to have potatoes with steak. I didn’t want just any potato to go with our steak. I wanted it to be amazing. So, I decided on twice baked potatoes. I let my imagination run wild and as it rained outside, I started thinking back to our time living in the desert of Arizona. While I went on a little day dream vacation I decided that I had to make THESE twice baked potatoes, Bacon Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes. Can’t you just hear the trumpets, uh…… trumpeting.
I’ve been asked if everything has to be bacon jalapeno flavored. I get it, I mean we have Bacon Jalapeno Poppers, Bacon Wrapped Chicken Jalapeno Poppers , a Bacon Jalapeno Popper Dip, and even a Bacon Jalapeno Popper Bloody Mary! All I can say is YES!!!!! I mean look at all these beautiful ingredients. I love them all and I get to eat them all in one bite. I’m sold!!!!!
This recipe uses four potatoes, because you will cut them in half you will end up with eight twice baked potatoes. That’s a lot. I know they taste good but for most families that’s too many for a single dinner. The reason that I make this many is to have some in the freezer for easy dinners later. I like to just wrap each potato tightly with plastic wrap and then put them all in a freezer zip bag. When you know that you want them for dinner you can just pull them out the night before and defrost them in the fridge. Then pop them into the oven, for their second bake, when you’re ready for dinner. So easy!!! It takes just as much time to make eight as it would to make four, so why not?
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 tsp seasoned salt
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 jalapenos, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 c cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- preheat oven to 425 degrees
- place baking dish in oven with 4 butter to melt it
- clean the potatoes and prick them with a fork on all sides
- place them the hot baking dish with the melted butter and carefully roll them around to coat in the butter
- sprinkle them on all sides with the seasoned salt
- bake for 45 to 60, until a fork can be inserted and removed easily
- once the potatoes are cool enough to handle but still warm but them in half length wise
- scoop out the center of the potato being careful to leave some of the center attached to the skin of the potatoes for stability
- place the potato centers into a med mixing bowl and mash up
- add in the cream cheese, jalapeno, and most of the bacon leaving some behind for garnish
- mix in 1/2 c of the cheddar cheese, salt and pepper
- stir until all is combined
- spoon the mixture back into the potato cups (skins)
- top with the remaining cheddar cheese and place back into the baking dish*
- bake for 10 to 15 minutes until all are warmed through and the cheese is melted on top
- garnish with the remaining bacon
- *if store for later, wrap tightly with plastic wrap after topped with remaining cheese and place into a freezer zip top bag.
- when ready to cook make sure you let them defrost completely in the fridge and then place in 475 degree oven for 30 min covered with foil